MOTA Hires Legislative Consultant First Time in 3 Years
Clarice Grote, MOTA Director of Practice - 11/25/2020
MOTA Hires Legislative Consultant for First Time in 3 Years
MOTA is excited to announce that we have hired Kyna Iman as our legislative consultant for the coming year.
It’s time for Missouri Occupational Therapy Practitioners to have a seat at the table!
Having a legislative consultant is vital to our efforts to improve MOTA’s efficacy in advocating for occupational therapy in the state of Missouri.
By being a member and encouraging others to join, you are a vital part of this initiative. We are able to support this effort because of Members like you!
Why We Need a Legislative Consultant:
- Transition from ‘monitoring’ to ‘advocating’ for or against relevant legislation
- Have a seat at the decision making table
- Pass Licensure Compact (This cost is being supported by AOTA)
- Advocate for changes to Medicaid to improve OTAs as eligible providers, increase reimbursement, and expand coverage of OT services to adults on Medicaid
- Assist with setting up key meetings with leadership
- Assist in building relationships with key officials in state departments
- Assist with developing our advocacy day and identifying key legislation
- Identify legislation that may need to be modified before it passed or before it is introduced on the floor
- Assist with appointments to licensure board
MOTA Decision Making Process:
- AOTA State Affairs identified 3 consultant groups that did not have conflicts of interest
- MOTA selected two groups to interview via zoom
- Who participated in these meetings? Clarice Grote, Director of Practice, Amy Stark, President, Michelle Jackson, Governmental Affairs Chair, and Ashlea Cardin, Treasurer
- Kyna Iman was selected as the top candidate
- Kyan spoke with Members and MOTA Board on October 26, 2020
- Board voted to pursue a contract with Kyna and negotiate cost
- Kyna provided contract proposal for a variety of services at the cost of $5000 per year
- MOTA Board voted to approve this contract on November 14, 2020
Aproximately 40% of your dues are allocated to lobbying efforts.
How Can I Help?
- Continue to support MOTA through membership
- Encourage your coworkers and friends to join MOTA
- Join our Legislative Task Force
- Participate in our Advocacy Day in March
How Can I Find out More Information on Advocacy Initiatives?
- Visit our advocacy page on the MOTA website
- Join the Legislative Task Force
- Follow us on Facebook. www.facebook.com/MissouriOTAssoc
Have any questions? What to get involved? Send us an email!
Clarice, Director of Practice - email@example.com
Michelle, Governmental Affairs Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org